However, I have recently discovered Australia's Bringing Sexy Back on Netflix, and I am hooked.
Here's why I think this is the best Make-Over Reality TV Show I have ever seen and why I want to work for them, or whatever USA network that buys the rights:
- They aren't selling anything. There is no program to buy, no companion diet book. They have a list of corporate sponsors at the end of every episode, but each diet and workout program is tailored to the person and their life. The celebrity trainer lives with them for a week to help them implement new habits.
- They don't use BMI. They use Weight and Body Fat percentage to tell a person where they are. I'm not going to go on about how BMI is bullshit because there are other people who have done it way better, so the fact that they don't use BMI puts them ahead of the curve. The celebrity trainer even says in episode two, "You can be a big fit person, or a big out of shape person."
- They set non-scale goals. Sure, there are scale goals, but the big reveal at the end is totally focused on their Non-Scale Goals... feeling good for their wedding, setting healthy habits for their kids, learning to make time for themselves after spending the last decade raising a family. It's the Big Whys that remind them why they are putting themselves through this life change.
- Speaking of...The Big Reveal. I always hate the Big Reveal because it focuses so much on the end result. Each episode is 50 minutes, and the Big Reveal is only 10 minutes long, including the styling. The entire rest of the time is the focus on the journey and milestones along the way. These are not quick transformations. Each person took between four to six months to transform.
- The family is part of the process. No man is an island and it's really hard to go through a life change by yourself. The show gets the entire family involved in the transformation, even after the celebrity trainer leaves them with a plan in place. At the end, the entire family celebrates the win as a whole, and you can see it, especially with the kids.
They tend to keep the weight off.
Seriously, if any US networks out there are thinking about buying the rights to Bringing Sexy Back, HMU. And if you haven't seen this show, it's first and only season is currently streaming on Netflix. It's absolutely binge worthy and will seriously motivate you to get your sexy back too.